Mental Health Professionals in Ontario

With so many different titles, it can be hard to figure out what each type of mental health professional does. The chart below is a basic comparison between a psychiatrist, psychologist, psychotherapist, social worker, and counsellor. 

Psychiatrist: Need referral, medical doctor, can assess, diagnose, prescribe medications, and some of them do therapy. Psychologist: PhD or equivalent, can assess and diagnose, can do therapy. Psychotherapist: Masters degree in a program related to counselling psychology or psychotherapy, can assess to guide therapy but not diagnose, can do therapy. Social worker: Bachelors or masters degree, can assess to guide therapy but not diagnose, can do counselling or with a masters degree they can do psychotherapy. Counsellor: Unregulated in Ontario, so educational background varies, generally provides guidance and encouragement, may become licensed and certified as a Canadian Counsellor to do therapy under the designation of CCC. Note: some nurses and occupational therapists can also provide mental health care.